Call me BioSHOCKED!
(I’m so sorry)
In a recent article by Kotaku’s Jason Schreier which mostly focuses on the making of Mafia III and the developers behind the game, Hangar 13. During his reporting he discovered that there was an unannounced, top-secret project in the works. Codenamed “Parkside”, it is said to be the next BioShock sequel.
What We Know So Far
While it all sounds very hush-hush and top secret for now, it also sounds like the game is in very early development.
Here’s what we know about the BioShock sequel so far:
- Sources have said when pressed, developers close to the project they would remain tight lipped and respond with “Oh, we can’t really talk about it.”
- The current Parkside team remains small to avoid any overstaffing that larger studios sometimes face.
- Sources say that the team is “not ready for lot of people” as they’re trying to be smart about “what the core thing is”. This points to again, the game being in VERY early development.
- Back in 2015, CEO of Take-Two Interactive, which owns 2K, said BioShock is “unquestionably a permanent franchise” which, to me, meant we could expect a BioShock sequel in the future.
- Back in November of 2017, Take Two referenced a “highly anticipated new title from one of 2K’s biggest franchises” would be releasing by March 31st, 2019. The two franchises that come to mind are, of course, a new BioShock and maybe even Borderlands 3.
- The last time we got anything BioShock was it’s 10th anniversary release back on September 13th, 2016.
What We Can Expect From A BioShock Sequel
BioShock is arguably one of the best games of the last console generations lineup. It was THE narrative driven FPS games with one of the best twists as far as video game storytelling goes. BioShock Infinite was an improvement on the series and they went from the deep water of Rapture up into the sky-city of Columbia. No doubt a BioShock sequel will feature a memorable city quite like the ones we’ve visited before.
What A New BioShock Means
BioShock is a very special series to me. I’ve had two falling outs with video games in general and the two games to bring me out of each funk was BioShock and BioShock Infinite. To me, they’re a perfect blend of story and action that makes interactive story-telling mediums like video games the best one earth. In fact, BioShock was the game to inspire me to being making my own video games and got me into game development in the first place!
With all that being said, I’m sure many of us are very excited for a new BioShock game in the works and we at Game Savvy we’ll keep you updated as soon as information becomes available.
Stay Savvy guys and gals!