The new PlayStation 4 line up will look drastically different with the addition of two new models made available by Sony. PlayStation fans may find it easy discerning each version of PlayStation 4. However, for the benefit of the layman and those who want to know more about the different PlayStation 4’s available, here’s what you need to know.
During the PlayStation live stream from New York City, Sony introduced two new versions of the PlayStation 4. The new versions are in many ways two polar opposites of each other. Where the PlayStation 4 Pro is a more substantial version of the PS4 original, with it weighing a complete kilogram more than original, the PlayStation 4 slim is much lighter when compared to PS4 Pro and sleeker when compared to PS4 original.
How distinctly big are these?
The original Sony PlayStation 4 is about 11 inches tall and almost 12 inches long, whereas, the Playstation slim is lacking an inch all around at 10 inches by 1.5 inches by 11 inches.
However, the PlayStation 4 Pro with the expanded power and its popular graphical capabilities, tips the scale. PS4 Pro is about a foot wide, it’s two inches tall and about 13 inches long, making its size rather significantly different than that of PS4 slim.
Moreover, for people who might be interested may like to know that PS4 Pro is a big device. Being about a foot wide and over a foot long, PlayStation 4 Pro is just about two inches above the PS4 slim. Furthermore, all the people at home, who are thinking of getting their own PS4, may want to take note that slim is, for obvious reasons, smallest of all PS4 versions. However, when compared to the PS4 original, there may not be as much of a size difference as one may expect.
How do they differ in processing power?
The major reason for the existence of PlayStation 4 Pro is that it meets the expectations of the more high-tech customer. The difference can be immediately seen when one plays new games or even puts older titles on their new 4K capable console.
Even though the CPU for all three versions are the same; the Pro is overclocked at 2.1 GHz and the original version is at 1.6 GHz. On top of that, the PlayStation Pro has GPU proficient of blazing 4.20 teraflops, whereas, the GPU in PS4 slim and original maximum go up to 1.84 teraflops.
With no doubt, greater performance requires greater power usage and power bills. The PS4 Pro specifically uses too much power when it is being used, on maximum it can go up to using 310 watts. Hence, bill-payers with tight budgets may lean more towards PS4 slim, which happen to consume a maximum of 165 watts during a gaming session.
Here are few more detailed and defining comparing pointers between PS4 Original, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro.
- All three PlayStation 4’s, original, slim and Pro are available for customers in Jet Black color.
- The approximate mass for PlayStation 4 Original is 2.8 kg, PlayStation 4 slim is 2.1 kg and PlayStation 4 Pro is 3.3 kg.
- The default memory for all three version of PlayStation 4 is GDDR5 8 GB.
- The mentioned operating temperature for all three versions of PlayStation 4 is between 5C to 35C.
- All three PlayStation 4 Original and slim provide the power of AC 100-240V, 50/ 60Hz, whereas, PlayStation 4 provides the power of AC 100V, 50/ 60Hz.
- The maximum power consumption of PlayStation 4 Original is 240W, PlayStation 4 slim is 165W and PlayStation 4 Pro is 310W.
- The storage size of PlayStation 4 Original is 500GB, PlayStation 4 slim is 500GB, 1TB and PlayStation 4 Pro is 1TB.
- Both the PlayStation 4 Original and PlayStation 4 slim come with 2 USB ports located on the front of the console and the PlayStation 4 Pro come with 3 USB ports with the extra one located at the back of the console.
So which one should I buy?
So even after all this information, this isn’t exactly a buyers guide. This is just enough information to help you make an informed decision on the similarly named consoles. Considering all of your internal and external factors that may even go beyond the differences between the three versions of PlayStation 4.
I am Jennifer Hines, I am a professional blogger at Dsdmobile, freelance writer and technology and gadgets enthusiast. I enjoy reading and writing about how technology and devices are changing everything around us and how they impact our everyday life.