“We don’t want to kill any of ya’. But trust me; we will.”
Rockstar Games revealed a new full-length trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2, our first real look at the game. We at Game Savvy put Red Dead Redemption 2 as one of our most anticipated games of 2018 which you’ll be able to play when it releases on October 26th, 2018.
See below for the trailer as well as our breakdown.
- The trailer starts off with members of Van der Linde gang harassing some poor people on a train. While they’re obviously robbing them, at least they’re polite about it!
- Something that may go unnoticed that we were really impressed with was THIS shot of a very detailed pistol from the game.
- As you can see, the pistol has a gun-metal base with intricate gold detailing. It makes you wonder if there will be special weapons and guns you can find through out the game a la Destiny. Or maybe that specific gun just belongs to a very important specific person.
- The trailer then dives more into the story. With a montage of shots of the Van der Linde gang, we seem the riding together, sitting by the fire together exchanging stories.
- In the campfire scene we’re treated so a starry night sky. Which you can see below. This is me hoping that Rockstar puts some emphasis on environment (which they always do), as a big pull for this game will be getting to explore the wild west. But how beautiful are those stars?
- We also get one of our first shots of a little town in Red Dead Redemption 2. While rather small and bare, it’s certainly lively and surprising colourful.
- We then get a nice montage of western life in the late 1800’s including a carnivale type show with a firebreather at the center of it, a doctor helping a patient (poorly it looks like).
- The game also gives us a look at some of the action we’re going to get in the game. This includes stickups and mass robberies, train robberies, stealing carriages, fist fighting brawling, stabbing. Oh you know just the usual stuff.
The first thing I noticed is how beautiful this game looks. Not just graphically but environmentally in general. Trailers are meant to look great and cause us to “ooh” and “ahh” at what a technical marvel these things are. But from the very beginning of the trailer you can’t help but “ooh” and “ahh” at the obviously very detailed game.
But I for one am just excited to ride a horse through the open western landscape and see the virtual stars at night. And if the stars are anything like the campfire scene in the trailer, it’ll be glorious.
One thing that I really liked about Red Dead Redemption was that you got to play the hero. It’s a far cry from the Grand Theft Auto games where you’re essentially a monster in every game. But as John Marston, you got to save citizens, animals, your family and friends. What I’m seeing from this trailer is that it looks like most of the time will be spent with criminals. Robbing, pillaging, most likely killing. If that’s the case, it’s a bit disappointing.
In terms of the story of Red Dead Redemption 2 (and if you haven’t seen the story trailer yet you should definitely check it out) it looks like you’ll play as a character, Arthur Morgan, who takes part in the affairs of the Van der Linde gang but eventually find himself ethically and morally conflicted. This makes me wonder what kind of choices Red Dead Redemption 2 will have players make. To kill or to save. To rob or to avoid. To fight or to show mercy. I have a feeling this will be a game with multiple twists and turns through out.